Chilly Sundays were made for steamy bowls of fresh, homemade vegetable stew. You should really make this. It was quick, super easy, incredibly cheap, and I bet you have at least half of the ingredients on hand already. Also, after a weekend full of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and everything else under the sun, your body needs this.
I almost forget to mention that it’s vegan, full of protein, and yields approximately 3 days worth of meals for a single person. No scrounging the office for leftovers this week!
Easy Veggie Stew (slightly adapted from original recipe, here)
- 2 cans of vegetable broth + 1 cup of water (more or less depending on how stew-like you want it)
- 1.5 cups of frozen vegetables ( I used broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of mushrooms, drained (I would actually use fresh next time)
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup of quinoa
- handful of chopped fresh carrots
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t of paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring vegetable broth to a boil, add in all ingredients and seasonings, stir well and bring back to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
Told you it was easy!